Sunday, February 9, 2014

Bed-time Stories

This post will be a little different.
One of the best things I remember from my childhood was that my dad would tell me stories before I went to bed. I can recall specifically asking him to tell a "funny AND magical story!!!" every single night. Aaron tagged along, always. When Gabby was born, we didn't do it as much, but on occasion there'd be a "Nathanael" story, in which Dad would use his very good Nathanael Voice as he told it. Those stories would include each of us siblings, and the plot would have something to do with Thanny saving the day. 
Stories like these are never told in our household anymore, but the memories of them still live on. They will forever, I suppose.

One of the best things ideas that happened came from all Aaron, Dad, and myself. A series of prank stories came to be after Dad wanted to name a specific character "Patrick," and Aaron wanted his name to be "Ralph." When Aaron nixed the suggestion of "Patrick Ralph", they both agreed on "Ralph Patrick." I--with the help of Dad, once again--made up the name of his sister: "Alexandria Lynn." Alexandria was after the city in which we lived in Virginia many years ago. Ralph Patrick and Alexandria Lynn had two friends who were also brother and sister, and my dad named the boy Jack Wayland (yes, that Mormon author's name). And the girl was called Lynn Alexandria, later changed to Lindsey. These friends would do all sorts of things to prank each other>>traps with water balloons by the front door, putting hands in warm water while the person was asleep, etc. I couldn't tell you all of them, there's no way. But those characters were the best EVER, and they'll live with us for the rest of our lives.

~More on them some time soon~

I will soon write a comedic story that my dad told us many years ago. It was told in this house we are living in now, so it could be anywhere from five to eight or nine years ago. I'm going to say five since I wrote it down on paper as a fifth grader, and I am a sophomore now. 

Dad was always so incredible at bringing characters to life with his different voices and tactics to tell the story. Making it up on the spot was always a special gift of his, and it was so beautiful to me. It meant the world to me, and I wouldn't trade it for anything even bigger. Thank you, Dad. What a story.

Time Spent: 20 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment